[LMB] OT: Why we still need paper books

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Wed Sep 21 14:28:24 BST 2011

On Sep 21, 2011, at 6:36 AM, Harimad wrote:

> Then why wear a t-shirt with text on it?  I never understood that.  Unless one is poor enough to have to wear what is available, or gifted to one, etc.

There are various ways of branding here.    I can't buy a car without it having brand names punched into it.   And Lacoste shirts have their little gator on it.  (He was a tennis player nicknamed "The Crocodile).

People wear shirts with someone else's name on it to show their support of a particular sports team.

My wife likes her shirt that says Vorkosigan on it, and is delighted when a stranger recognizes it.   And likes it when someone just asks what it is.    It is a nice looking shirt.   The name is over her heart with a leaf and mountain symbol embodied.

My son wears T-shirts with his interests (Dr. Who, Star Wars, etc) showing.   His sons follow his taste here.

When I see someone with a shirt with the name of a golf course or vacation place, I have a conversational entry.