[LMB] Why we still need paper books

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Wed Sep 21 17:39:40 BST 2011

Yes. Alfred the Great was behind the start of that. It upset him badly that he was illiterate until he was grown, though not sure whether he meant it in the "Had no Latin" sense or in the "Couldn't read at all" sense. He really pushed the translation-into-English project, on the grounds that with Latin literacy at zero, people should at least be able to read in their native language.

Love the story "Judith", though the author took great liberties with the original. Call it Biblical fanfic. And "Dream of the Rood" -- any poet who can give the cross a personality, and that of a stodgy, loyal old soldier to boot, has written a masterpiece.

http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/