[LMB] OT: HANDEDNESS

Ed Burkhead ed at edburkhead.com
Thu Sep 22 04:17:27 BST 2011

Guitars?  "Right handed?"

It seems to me that it's the LEFT hand that requires the greater dexterity
with guitars, violins, etc.

Why would a sane person want to string it backward and use their less-good
hand for the difficult stuff?

It seems to me that in most of the left-hand/right-hand discussion of using
objects, the left hand has the high dexterity task on an awfully lot of
those cases.

And, yes, we fly most airplanes left handed - all those that have control
yokes (i.e. wheels).  That's OK, though because really, it's handling the
knobs and switches that takes more delicate control and dexterity.

On the other hand (pun intended), the airliner copilot flies right handed
and uses his left hand for a lot of the switches and knobs and adjustments.
Then, when s/he becomes a captain, now in primary control, s/he has to
suddenly use the opposite hands to do things.  Do you want your brand-new
captain handicapped by having to switch around everything s/he does?
(Actually, the changeover occurs with a LOT of realistic simulator time so
it's not really an issue.  I'm just having fun with the thought experiment.)

Ed