[LMB] why we still need paper books

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 22 05:28:41 BST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 07:30:48AM -0700, Becca wrote:
> We live half way between Ann Arbor and Brighton in SE Michigan - two
> metropolitan areas. Our little town has broadband... up to about a
> mile from our house. We live far enough out in the country that it's
> not worth the while of the cable companies to wire us. The telephone

> There is no indication that this situation will change. Not sooner, not later.

Living a mile from your neighbors has costs...

It's surpisingly hard to find costs per mile of lines.  Best I can find
is $1-6 million for power lines, and maybe as low as $40,000 per mile
for rural fiber.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 05:39:07PM -0400, Paula Lieberman wrote:

> Once upon a time also, localities owned and ran their own power and
> light companies as municipal businesses owned by the localities.

You still need a certain level of local population density to make the
utility work affordably.  Municipal ownership won't help if homes are a
half mile apart.

-xx- Damien X-)