[LMB] why we still need paper books

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 22 06:27:36 BST 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:08:26PM -0700, Jeff Shultz wrote:

> It's expensive enough that the rural co-op phone company I work for is
> instead running fiber out to "junction points" where they can feed a decent
> number of customers and putting in a box that will originate DSL for 3 wire
> miles from it. We're researching another, much cheaper solution that will

It's 18,000 feet from a repeater, right?  I assume repeaters are
expensive in their own right?

How common is the isolated farmhouse settlement pattern historically?  I've
got some mental images of English, Scottish, or Scandinavian farmhouses
(though with extended family and servants that could be a tiny village
in itself), but rural villages that are small but have an immediate
local density comparable to urban seem pretty common too.  I wonder what
governs it.  A friend suggests clustering for defense, I suggest
clustering around a well or church or mill; a _1632_ resource page
mentioned German villages supporting a basic school readily.

-xx- Damien X-)