[LMB] why we still need paper books

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Thu Sep 22 06:39:45 BST 2011

I KNEW the costs for putting in buried fiber optic cable per mile, 25 years
ago. It was NOT $40,000 a mile.   And the price has dropped majorly since
then  (the technique used is a lot less expensive than most people realize,
and it goes in very quickly. k. What the commercial company claims it costs,
and the actual costs, are NOT the same.... I still remember AT&T's claim
decades ago that it would take 20 years and 20 billion dollars to replace
their long lines copper with fiber optic, when the US Government asked with
it would take... then Sprint and other competition showed up, and AT&T did
it in under 5 years, for a LOT less than $20 billion.... Basically, AT&T
didn't WANT to replace the copper with fiber optic, AT& only did so because
competition showed up with WAS putting in a fiber optic backbone system...