[LMB] OT: HANDEDNESS

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Sep 22 06:45:12 BST 2011

On Sep 21, 2011, at 8:17 PM, Ed Burkhead wrote:
> It seems to me that in most of the left-hand/right-hand discussion of using
> objects, the left hand has the high dexterity task on an awfully lot of
> those cases.

Yes! I tend to have developed a bit more strength in my right hand, or it's habit picked up as a child from watching my switched-lefty mom and others do whatever, such as attempting to open a jar. I only learned the righty-tighty/lefty-loosey rule (and where that turn was supposed to originate) when Arthur was a baby. That made such a difference in my life, because I was never able to remember which way to turn things. Of course, clockwise or counterclockwise would have helped, too, much earlier, she said darkly, but no one mentioned that, either.

While I now brush with either hand, I started out only using a tooth- or hairbrush in my right hand, because that was all I saw. I don't think I have used an artist's brush righthanded, though. What I did do, and what I might have said here before, was to mindlessly have followed the examples of anyone I saw at the chalkboard, and used my right hand. I never could connect my awful board writing with using my off-hand until one day, I looked down, wondered *what* I could have been thinking, and put the chalk in the other hand, thereby improving the legibility of my board writing.

My sister and I did experiment in our childhoods with off-hand writing, forward and mirror, and mirror writing with the dominant hand as well. For a few years, when I was actually keeping a diary, I used mirror writing.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
The perils of ambulatory reading. If you have never said “Excuse me” to a parking meter or bashed your shins on a fireplug, you are probably wasting too much valuable reading time.

Sherri Chasin Calvo (contemp.) American computer scientist                          (Attributed)