[LMB] OT: Re: Handedness and birth hair color

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Sep 22 08:08:11 BST 2011

On Sep 21, 2011, at 9:04 PM, Bert Ricci wrote:
> When I was growing up, none of the knives in our kitchen had "right" handles, and I'm still more comfortable with the ones with straight handles, some of which I now have are ones I got from my mother, who got them from her grandmother.

I had no idea that knives with handedness existed! I think mine are all the neutral kind. I think the serrated blades are different on one side of the blade to the other. I think that I pretty much just use knives with my right hand, with a firm grip on the bread with the left. I have never tried cutting chewier breads while held to my chest. These days, the angle is all wrong for my glasses to be useful, anyways.

> Interesting to hear of someone who was born blond, and hair turned dark.  I was born with black hair, so long the nurses gave me a fingerwave when my mother took me home, but when I was about six months old, it fell out and came back very light blond.

Hair is strange. My mother started going grey at 19, due to malnutrition (she and her sisters all got rickets as well), and she said hers was yellowish, so she took to dyeing her hair. Mine has come in white-to-silver--but it started at the back of my head, where I couldn't enjoy it.

My sister's hair was curly until she was five, at which point it came in with a bit of wave only. Now that my hair is more grey than not, MY curl has left, for the most part.  When I was in high school, going to dances, the fashion was beehive hairdos, or up with long curls from the crown of the head. I just put my hair in a band at the crown of my head, divided it up, coiled the strands around my finger, and pinned them. No stinky expensive perms. I could also do a typical Minoan hairstyle.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
Wise children always choose a mother who was a shocking flirt in her maiden days, and so had several offers before she accepted their fortunate papa.

Sir James Barrie (1860-1937) Scottish novelist and dramatist
The Little White Bird, ch. 22 (1902)