[LMB] OT: sort-of -- Internet/computer access for the poor

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 22 11:53:16 BST 2011

From: Ed Burkhead <ed at edburkhead.com>

> "Thanks to a new program dubbed Internet Essentials, unveiled in partnership
> between Comcast and the Federal Communications Commission, these same
> students will be provided with low-cost Internet service and computers along
> with digital literacy training."

I think you missed the bit in McGuire's article where she directly addressed that solution - which was the bit where she flat out said that if this equipment has any resale value at all, it *WILL* be taken from the children by parents or stolen by neighbours and sold, either to pay for food or bills or for a junkie's next hit.  Ergo, it is no solution at all and will in fact contribute to the problem.

'Interesting' is not the word.  The one you're looking for is 'frustrating'.

Raye

raye_j at yahoo.com
http://windtear.livejournal.com
http://www.thejohnsens.com/index.html

I believe in dragons, unicorns, good men
and other mythical creatures.