[LMB] OT: HANDEDNESS

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Sep 22 14:36:08 BST 2011

On Sep 21, 2011, at 11:45 PM, A. Marina Fournier wrote:

> Yes! I tend to have developed a bit more strength in my right hand, or it's habit picked up as a child from watching my switched-lefty mom and others do whatever, such as attempting to open a jar. I only learned the righty-tighty/lefty-loosey rule (and where that turn was supposed to originate) when Arthur was a baby. That made such a difference in my life, because I was never able to remember which way to turn things. Of course, clockwise or counterclockwise would have helped, too, much earlier, she said darkly, but no one mentioned that, either.

I never figured out what direction was right and what was left in jar lids.   Except by working backwards from clockwise and counter-clockwise (deisul and widdershins) to infer which is right or left.    When one part moves right, another part moves left.

> While I now brush with either hand, I started out only using a tooth- or hairbrush in my right hand, because that was all I saw. I don't think I have used an artist's brush righthanded, though. What I did do, and what I might have said here before, was to mindlessly have followed the examples of anyone I saw at the chalkboard, and used my right hand. I never could connect my awful board writing with using my off-hand until one day, I looked down, wondered *what* I could have been thinking, and put the chalk in the other hand, thereby improving the legibility of my board writing.

I brush my teeth with each hand, but I have a hard time trimming my hair with my left hand.

I knew teachers who learned to write on chalkboards with their left hands.    That allowed us to read what they wrote without their bodies blocking the words.