[LMB] OT: sort-of -- Internet/computer access for the poor

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 22 14:44:03 BST 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 03:53:16AM -0700, Raye Johnsen wrote:

> I think you missed the bit in McGuire's article where she directly
> addressed that solution - which was the bit where she flat out said
> that if this equipment has any resale value at all, it *WILL* be taken
> from the children by parents or stolen by neighbours and sold, either
> to pay for food or bills or for a junkie's next hit.? Ergo, it is no
> solution at all and will in fact contribute to the problem.

Actually, she said that any nice thing *she* would have would be stolen
by unspecified people as poor as her, or by richer kids keeping her
down.  Parents, food, and hits not mentioned.  I'm sure it happens.  But
as someone who grew up on free lunches, I find "it WILL be taken" to be
classist stereotyping.

> 'Interesting' is not the word.? The one you're looking for is
> 'frustrating'.?

"We can't help the poor because they'll sabotage themselves" would be
frustrating.  Also false.

-xx- Damien X-)