[LMB] rural power/phone/cable lines

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 22 15:45:22 BST 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 07:24:50AM -0700, BOB!! wrote:

> The $1-6 million for power lines must be the costs per mile for high
> voltage transmission lines, rather than 'last mile' costs.  The

Yeah, it was.  Didn't realize there'd be such a big difference, but that
makes rural electrification more explainable.

> cooperative that's putting power into my brother's house charges
> customers cost (i.e. no profit markup), and the cost for about 1/5 of
> a mile was less than $20K.  A good length of his power lines were

> whole lot) cost per mile would be between $50 & 100 thousand (with the

Thanks!

So, still pretty expensive if you're a mile away from your nearest
neighbor.  Affordable, but in the same way that a house is, and possibly
more expensive than a rural house... and not something you'd pay back
over even 30 years even at $100/month.

-xx- Damien X-)