[LMB] OT: sort-of -- Internet/computer access for the poor

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Thu Sep 22 15:56:16 BST 2011

If entry level ed-type devices get so ubiquitous and inexpensive that they
are NOT worth stealing, people likely won't steal them.   Or if they're
ugly, except that situations of stealing to make someone's life miserably is
NOT about the object, it;s about making the person -miserable-.   There's
nothing stopping them from stealing schoolbooks, for example, except that it
doesn't occur to most bullies to do that. ...

If there were a school-grade device given to all students--and "cost" is
less of a problem there than people might think, consider what printed
textbooks costs.... a One World PC type device is less than the cost of
three inexpensive-for-textbooks textbooks, these days.... --and ALL students
had them, it wouldn;t be long before the things did NOT have much worth as
objects to steal sell for cash.... --if the supply is not less than the
demand and the items are in ample supply, and inexpensive, and people don't
have a need/use for more than one, the items tend to not be attractive
objects to steal....