[LMB] OT: HANDEDNESS

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 22 16:07:07 BST 2011

JH> On Sep 22, 2011, at 4:24 AM, John Hallam wrote:
JH> However, I noticed to my surprise a year or so back that
JH> the foot controls are always in the same order, irrespective
JH> of the handedness of the vehicle: for stick shifts, they go
JH> clutch, brake, accelerator from left to right.  Interesting...
JH>  Is it really harder to learn mirrored foot skills in the
JH> separate contexts than mirrored hand skills?

HB> On Fri, 9/23/11, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
HB> I suspect footedness is less strong than handedness. Soccer
HB> players need to use both feet - even if we have preferences
HB> in penalty kicks.    Walking is a two-footed activity, so
HB> we're used to using both feet equally.   Practice matters.

There are exceptions, of course.  In American football, kickers and punters invariably use just one foot.  Gymnasts usually lead with a preferred foot.  The real odd sport is ice skating: ice skaters are taught to do figures all ways - forward, backward, left foot, right foot, from left to right, from right to left.  But jumps and spins are always done in the favored direction.[1]

But in general, yes.  Foot preference is weaker than hand preference.

- Harimad

[1] There's half an exception for spins, when one switches from favored foot to other foot, gaining momentum and therefore time thereby.