[LMB] OT: sort-of -- Internet/computer access for the poor

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Thu Sep 22 16:34:07 BST 2011

The devices do NOT have to be so delicate.   High impact rugged plastic
displays ARE in development, and the continuing miniaturization of
electonics is helping making things smaller and more rugged--the packaging
the chips are in can be very durable, much more durable than anyone
relatively unsophisticated can destory without more effort than most people
can or would bother to muster.   There are some quite rugged kids stuff
already, far more durable than textbooks, which a cheap marker can destroy,
water or urine wreck, or simply tearing sheets of, or even opening up and
breaking the spine, destroys.....  there were rugged laptops decades ago
that being dropped or even thrown, didn;t break them.  Yeah, those ones were
expensive, but that was -decades- ago and the electronic parts were a lot
more delicate at the time.  These days the one world PC has flash memory,
not a hard drive, so the storage is all solid state and not subject to
mechanic failure, and designed for durable use by children who aren;t
literate, in places where the electrical supply is iffy (so that they can be
powered by crank power, for example, and the power supplies on them have
overvoltage and undervoltage protection I assume...) the cases are designed
for hard wear, etc.

The key is numbers--computing devices made in quantities of millions/tends
of millions, the price per for design and production can get VERY low, it's
how CD and DVD players got so inexpensive--there is more computer power
inone of  those things than the entire world had in the 1970s, and I suspect
they also have more  memory and storage in them than the hard drives of
Crays did back in the 1980s....  cheap automotive microprocessors that cost
a dollar, have more power than the Crays of the 1980s had....

The price drop on the HP WebOS tablet down to $99.99 shows the -true- cost
of the devices... at $99.99 HP was NOT losing money on them.  It wasn't
making the profits it wanted (HP with the tablet disater, rocketed HP into a
bottom of the barrel for outstanding incompetence in marketing with AT&T,
Wang, Honeywell, Morrow, Commodore, etc. in the computer industry.  However,
there is no challenge to the world's worst ever in the field of failure to
market computers, which position as #1 in the Hall of Shane belongs to
Tektronix -- what, you never KNEW than Tek made computers, you didn't know
Tek invented the graphics display terminal, the workstation, the liquid
crystal display, color liquid crystal display, 3D flat panel liquid crystal
display, and a bunch of other key basic things in computing and associated
product lines?  THAT is why Tek is #1 in the Hall of Shame--they invented
those thing, they sold PRODUCTS that did all those things... and the public
doesn't know/never knew about it!   Everyone KNEW that Wang, Commodore,
Morrow, Bondwell, Zenith, Honeywell, AT&T, etc. blew it, that they made
computer and made bad decisions, particularly in marketing, that doomed
their computer businesses... but people don't even know that Tek made
computers, much less that it was the company with so many key
innovations.... ) but it wasn't losing money on the units.   It completely
failed to market the devices and provide people with reasons to buy them--it
didn;t have applications on the units that people could actually PLAY with,
the units in the stores had marketing BS installed on them, that failed to
provide any useful information concerning why a WebOS tablet was something
anyone should buy....  HP did NOT provide lists of applications, did NOT
have apps installed that the users could actually go into and DO things with
and get familiar with.... HP blew it, COMPETELY.  Morons.

Anyway, there will be cheap tablets that either are rugged, or so cheap,
that backing them up and replacing them, will be something that even poor
kids get to do without having to starve....  again, they are less expensive
than textbooks, and wil be a lot more durable.    Think of them as more book
binding, than device, just as a Kindle or Nook's value is mainly all the
books that one puts on it, not the price of the device, when comparing the
cost of 100 print books, with the cost of a Kindle or Nook   with 100 books
on it... the Kindle or Nook and the ebooks on them are a lot lower expense.