[LMB] OT: HANDEDNESS

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Fri Sep 23 10:20:16 BST 2011

On Sep 22, 2011, at 6:36 AM, Howard Brazee wrote:
> I never figured out what direction was right and what was left in jar lids.   Except by working backwards from clockwise and counter-clockwise (deisul and widdershins) to infer which is right or left.    When one part moves right, another part moves left.

Exactly so! If someone had said where the starting point for the turns were, I might have learned earlier. Deosil (alternate spelling) and widdershins would have made more sense, if someone said it's the lid that turns...dumb, dumb, dumb I was. No one seems to have picked up on my lack of understanding and thus correct me, either.

I'm also one of those disgusting people that lives with the compass in her head. Please give me cardinal directions instead of left & right, because *those* I can confuse.  Balkan dancing is not for me.

> I brush my teeth with each hand, but I have a hard time trimming my hair with my left hand.

I think I need a set of left & right toenail scissors. Mostly I use clippers, but sometimes I need those scissors!

> I knew teachers who learned to write on chalkboards with their left hands.    That allowed us to read what they wrote without their bodies blocking the words.

How kind of them! I think that in Arabic and Hebrew, where the writing goes right to left, that shouldn't be much of a problem for students. I can't remember if Chinese, Japanese, or both go r->l as well.

There was at least one prof at Pomona who could and did write with both hands at the same time. Gaah. My husband had a prof who wrote right, and way too soon, erased left. Not kind!

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
Wise children always choose a mother who was a shocking flirt in her maiden days, and so had several offers before she accepted their fortunate papa.

Sir James Barrie (1860-1937) Scottish novelist and dramatist
The Little White Bird, ch. 22 (1902)