[LMB] OT: HANDEDNESS

Katrina Allis k.m.allis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 11:14:32 BST 2011

On 23 September 2011 21:20, A. Marina Fournier <saffronrose at me.com> wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2011, at 6:36 AM, Howard Brazee wrote:
> > I never figured out what direction was right and what was left in jar
> lids.   Except by working backwards from clockwise and counter-clockwise
> (deisul and widdershins) to infer which is right or left.    When one part
> moves right, another part moves left.
>
> Exactly so! If someone had said where the starting point for the turns
> were, I might have learned earlier. Deosil (alternate spelling) and
> widdershins would have made more sense, if someone said it's the lid that
> turns...dumb, dumb, dumb I was. No one seems to have picked up on my lack of
> understanding and thus correct me, either.

I still have trouble with that.  Not sure deosil and widdershins would have
helped, mind.  I could have coped with clockwise and anti-clockwise and I
still occasionally use that.  I use landmarks and maps to navigate if I
don't know the area.

My surefire way of telling my left from right is to go back to piano
lessons.  Bass was left hand, treble right.  I had a lot of trouble telling
my left from right until then.

I always turn screws the wrong way to begin with as well.

Should possibly note that I am partially ambidexterous (though mostly right
handed) and eat left-handedly among other things.  When I get around to
learning to knit, I think I will learn from a leftie; I've tried
right-handed and it just doesn't make sense in my head.

Katrina