[LMB] rural power/phone/cable lines

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Fri Sep 23 14:17:07 BST 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 02:34:57PM +0200, baur wrote:
> how much gasoline does it take to keep it running for an hour .. and
> what does gasoline cost ..?

Yeah, I realized later the big plants could be (a) more robust, lasting
30 years (but with maintenance?) and (b) more efficient.  Though the
page for the generator claimed to provide power for "up to" 8.3 hours on
0.6 gallons of gasoline, which I estimated at 30% efficiency, which
isn't horrible, though isn't the best out there -- I saw a 43% number
recently, forget if it was diesel or gas turbine.

-xx- Damien X-)