[LMB] OT: Re: Handedness (and a lot about knitting)

Fri Sep 23 16:27:19 BST 2011

> Harimad said: "In theory Continental should be more efficient
> because the yarn and needles both move less.  In practice
> there doesn't seem to be a difference for an experienced knitter."

Rachel added;  Really? Maybe I'm just really bad English style, but I
can't
> imagine how it could be as fast as Continental. Even if I
> were really good at English, I'd still have to lift my index finger.

I knit English fast.  I use small hand movements from long practice.  I
tried learning Continental and though I can do it, it would take a lot
of practice for me to get fast with it.  Also (and this happened to a
friend who only knits Continental now) the tension on Continental
knitting seems to be quite a bit looser - so much that I'd have to go
down a needle size to get the results I do now.  Also my hands cramp
with Continental (could be because I'm not used to it and am gripping
too tightly.)  And then there's purling...

Alison