[LMB] OT: Re: Handedness (and a lot about knitting)

Mori phoenix at ravinglunatix.org
Fri Sep 23 16:58:13 BST 2011

On Sep 23, 2011, at 8:27 AM, Hendon, Alison wrote:

>> Harimad said: "In theory Continental should be more efficient
>> because the yarn and needles both move less.  In practice
>> there doesn't seem to be a difference for an experienced knitter."
>>
> Rachel added;  Really? Maybe I'm just really bad English style, but I
> can't
>> imagine how it could be as fast as Continental. Even if I
>> were really good at English, I'd still have to lift my index finger.
>
> I knit English fast.  I use small hand movements from long practice.  I
> tried learning Continental and though I can do it, it would take a lot
> of practice for me to get fast with it.  Also (and this happened to a
> friend who only knits Continental now) the tension on Continental
> knitting seems to be quite a bit looser - so much that I'd have to go
> down a needle size to get the results I do now.  Also my hands cramp
> with Continental (could be because I'm not used to it and am gripping
> too tightly.)  And then there's purling…

I don't know that I end up super-tightly knit, but I'm almost always right at-gauge for the yarn/needles. My hands do get tired/crampy eventually, but they would after doing anything for a few hours solidly… I recently started taking a knitting class (going through and making one of the coats from http://www.knitswirl.com/ so it's less of a 'teaching stuff' class and more of a large-project support group, at least for me), and was a little surprised that knitting and purling don't end up nigh-identical for everyone. The main thing that changes for me between the two is what side of my left needle the yarn is carried on (behind for knit, in front for purl).

~Mori