[LMB] OT: sort-of -- Internet/computer access for the poor

William A Wenrich wawenri at msn.com
Fri Sep 23 19:16:47 BST 2011

Paula Lieberman wrote:

<snip>

It wasn't making the profits it wanted (HP with the tablet disaster,
rocketed HP into a bottom of the barrel for outstanding incompetence in
marketing with AT&T, Wang, Honeywell, Morrow, Commodore, etc. in the
computer industry.  <snip>

Don't forget Digital/DEC in your list. Before the IBM PC, before the MAC,
even before the Apple Lisa, DEC had the LSI-11 chip set that ran the PDP-11
operating system. With some slight tweaks (say change PIP to copy), they
could have repackaged it for consumer use. It was far more powerful than the
Intel 8086 chipset. However,  the LSI-11 was only built as a rack mount.
Management refused to put it in a commercial case because, "DEC doesn't make
toy computers."

William A Wenrich

Christian, husband, father, grandfather, son, American. Here I stand. I can
do no other. God Help me!