[LMB] OT: HANDEDNESS

Hilary Powers hilary at powersedit.com
Fri Sep 23 22:26:33 BST 2011

On 9/23/2011 12:35 PM, Howard Brazee wrote:

> On Sep 23, 2011, at 4:14 AM, Katrina Allis wrote:
>
>> My surefire way of telling my left from right is to go back to
>> piano lessons.  Bass was left hand, treble right.  I had a lot of
>> trouble telling my left from right until then.
>

> Good idea - I'll try to remember when I work with left-right
> challenged people.

In a car, "my side" and "your side" work pretty well.

I've always had right and left flat backwards, because when I was just
four and my sister almost ten, she explained with great authority that
I'd be able to tell them apart as soon as I learned to write, because
I'd write with my right hand.

Well, no.... I'm very nearly ambidextrous, but for routine writing, it's
left hand all the way. I taught myself to write right-handed in high
school - after the damage on innate direction was done - and
right-handed note-taking served to add amusement to many a dull lecture.
Calligraph and embroider right-handed - and needle-felt too, which seems
surprising, as the needles sit in the hand about like pencils.

When I was fighting in the Society for Creative Anachronism, it was a
delight to enter tournaments with one hand, and switch to the other for
the melees....

--
-       Hilary Powers - hilary at powersedit.com - Oakland CA        -
-        Freelance copyediting and developmental editing          -