[LMB] OT: Re: Handedness (and a lot about knitting)

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Sat Sep 24 05:28:59 BST 2011

On Sep 23, 2011, at 7:49 AM, Rachel wrote:
> Lots of lefties here. It might interest you to know that while nearly
> all of righties have language lateralized in the left hemisphere of
> their brains, lefties are more likely than righties to employ both
> hemispheres for language processing. What effects might that have?

I can't answer as to effects, but a benefit in a person at risk genetically or otherwise for stroke, is that the language skills might recover more rapidly than for a righthander in the same position, after a stroke. I hope never to be able to report to you on this from direct experience.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

Galileo Galilei (1564-1642) Italian scientist and mathematician     Letter to the Grand Duchess Christina of Tuscany (1615)