[LMB] OT:- Micro Lois Con in Calgary

elizabeth at cheztaft.demon.co.uk elizabeth at cheztaft.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 24 06:43:03 BST 2011

Carol said
> I reckon it was too small to classify as a Mini-Lois-Con, so we'll call it a
> Micro-Lois-Con.  I just spent a delightful morning with listee Elizabeth
> Carabine and her husband Ian, who are visiting Calgary this week.  It's the
> first time I've actually met another listee, so I was pretty excited!  They
> came bearing an offering of absolutely delicious Aran cheese plus other
> Scottish delicacies.  Elizabeth, now you've started something - Rachael's
> decided the 'tablet' is her new culinary passion - she says thank you for
> introducing her to it.
Glad she likes it, I'm sure your dentist will thank me too :-))
For the uninitiated, tablet is like fudge but much crumblier. The good stuff is much prized and posh restaurrants are now serving it with after dinner coffee.

> I took them down for a stroll in our local 'wilderness park' in the hope of
> showing them some local wildlife, but the only reasonably exciting thing to
> pop up was an osprey (not uncommon around here).  Then we got back to my
> house to find a jackrabbit right at the side of the driveway.  On the whole
> though, I think the wildest bit of life we saw was Chloe the kitten, who is
> currently trying to imitate the squirrels by shooting up a large spruce tree
> in our yard.  We're trying to discourage this, so it results in frequent
> groundings, at which point she becomes really wild.......
And looks so pathetic and unloved. :-)))
> I hope they enjoyed our micro-con as much as I did, and maybe one of these
> days I'll get up the courage to attend an actual con somewhere - they've
> whetted my appetite.
We had a great time. As Marna once wrote, Come for the books and stay for the company, conversation and beer. Four hours flew by and we had to tear ourselves away.
Thanks again to Carol and Rachel for their hospitality.

Elizabeth