[LMB] OT: language writing direction (was HANDEDNESS)

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Sat Sep 24 20:39:03 BST 2011

On Sep 24, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Eric Oppen wrote:
> When I was in Taiwan, my host family's children (age 5 and 6) always found it fascinating to watch me writing, left-handed.  The adults were just gobsmacked that I _could_ write Chinese at all, even with p*ss-poor handwriting by their standards.

I remember, shortly after Chinese mainlanders were allowed to travel to the States (I hope I didn't say this already), a couple of scholars were visiting a neighbor, who brought me over deliberately to write in their presence.  Given that left-handedness was suppressed during Mao's reign as being economically unfeasible, they may not have known such a practice existed--they were certainly puzzled, confused, and amazed at what I was doing.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
"To choose a good book, look in an inquisitor's [or censor's] prohibited list" ~ John Aikin