[LMB] OT: language writing direction (was HANDEDNESS)

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 24 22:09:35 BST 2011

EO> On Sun, 9/25/11, Eric Oppen <technomad at intergate.com> wrote:
EO> When I was in Taiwan, my host family's children (age 5 and
EO> 6) always found it fascinating to watch me writing,
EO> left-handed.  The adults were just gobsmacked that I
EO> _could_ write Chinese at all, even with p*ss-poor
EO> handwriting by their standards.

I had the same experience in the PRC.  The first few times I thought it was just attention that round-eye attracted back then.  As the years went on I thought it was the attention that a Chinese-speaking round-eye attracted.  And maybe it was.  But it was still happening in 1998, in big cities, when I was speaking or writing Chinese - I was writing in my English-language travel journal.  So I asked.  It was that I was writing with my left hand.

- Harimad