[LMB] OT: Saudi Arabia more democratic than Barrayar

RICHARD G. MOLPUS rgmolpus at flash.net
Sun Sep 25 18:52:51 BST 2011

>From textual evidence, Barrayar was initially a single political unit  when the
planet was initially colonized, but broke apart into regions  and
'principalities'  at the beginning of the time of isolation. I've  suspected
that several different colonization projects worked together  to send people to
the planet - which is why there's such a mix of  old-earth nationalities, but
the individual projects worked inside a  common legal and political framework.

Dorca Vorbarra unified the independent regions into one coherent body,  forming
the Barrayaran Empire; that seems to have been recent - perhaps  within the
memory of Ezar or Piotr.

Richard Molpus
Who, like Impsec, Watches and listens, but stays hidden (Ow! stop hitting me
with that broomstick!)