[LMB] OT: Saudi Arabia more democratic than Barrayar

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Sep 25 19:01:46 BST 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:52:51AM -0700, RICHARD G. MOLPUS wrote:

> Dorca Vorbarra unified the independent regions into one coherent body,
> forming the Barrayaran Empire; that seems to have been recent -
> perhaps  within the memory of Ezar or Piotr.

I think it's got to be a lot older than that.  The Counts were Varadar
Tau's tax collectors and accountants.  And the mystique and majesty of
the Emperor and his Auditors doesn't seem like it'd arise in 100 years
of war-torn modernization.  A Sengoku model makes more sense to me: a
rather older Imperium, but one that lost power to the Counts for at
least a century and probably more, before being re-unified and
semi-pacified by Dorca.  Unitary state, decentralization and feudalism,
unitary state again.  Possibly with a continuous but largely ignored
line of Vorbarra Emperors in the middle.  Or maybe more wars over the
throne.

-xx- Damien X-)