[LMB] OT: Saudi Arabia more democratic than Barrayar

Alexandra Haropulos aharo at erols.com
Sun Sep 25 19:59:52 BST 2011

God bless King Abdullah.

Turning an absolute monarchy (which is never as absolute as it looks
from the outside - "I wonder where my children's body parts will wind
up.") into a participatory republic is never easy, and fraught with peril.

Americans managed it because they were used to looking after themselves,
and, frankly, Washington turned down the offer to be king.

Britain managed it over a 600-year period.

I watch with great hopes and interest, as they say.