[LMB] OT: Saudi Arabia more democratic than Barrayar

Richard Molpus rgmolpus at flash.net
Mon Sep 26 06:15:43 BST 2011

When thinking about Saudi and the other Oil Kingdoms, it's important to remember
that they have a long, venerable tradition of internal political dialog that
isn't obvious to outside eyes. The Al Saud Royal Princes hold constant meetings
in the Desert, at Oasis's, an in the Cities, following established Arab Tribal
custom.

The Saud family respects the traditional methods of generating and accepting
political consensus - thru face to face meetings with the leaders of the
numerous tribes and clans that populate the Kingdom. Votes are offered, traded,
and counted by the Powers the Are meet;I don't know if it's called
'Camel-Trading' in Arabic political slang, but it should be.

Qatar ,Bahrain, and the United Arab Emirates do the same, with private and
semi-public consultative meetings between the tribal, clan and family leaders,
who constitute a "House of Representatives" of the Arab citizenry.

[Non-citizens don't get a say in things, except thru their nations  Ambassadors,
those counties are family owned and operated businesses,  and they never forget
it.]

The USA, Canada, and  other countries that use the 'European' methods of
political discussion  (Parliaments, Congresses, Diets, and such) do things with
different pageantry, but the people who matter [usually meaning the people who
own lots a stuff] get consulted in both systems of Governance.

I expect the same applies to Barrayar; explaining how the Council of Counts and
Vor System works to a Beta Colony tourist must be a common duty of Tour Guides,
and an assigned paper for PoliSci students everywhere.