[LMB] OT: Saudi Arabia more democratic than Barrayar

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Sep 26 06:43:03 BST 2011

On Sep 25, 2011, at 9:20 AM, phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu wrote:
> http://www.smh.com.au/world/saudi-king-gives-women-right-to-vote-20110925-1krzf.html
> "Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah has announced he is giving women the right
> to vote and run in municipal elections, the only public polls in the
> ultra-conservative Gulf kingdom.
>
> He also announced on Sunday that women would have the right to join the
> all-appointed Shura (consultative) Council, in an address opening a new
> term of the council."

One step forward...

> Barrayaran women can drive and go outside on their own, so plus for
> them.

...and the rest of the body still in the past. Sigh. I was wondering if that would be addressed.

> OTOH, this is one version of what reform in a monarchy looks like.
> Create an appointed formally powerless consultative body; have low-level
> elections; have elections to the powerless consultative body; yield
> powers to the consultative body...

and eventually retire the monarchy?

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
In anything fit to be called by the name of reading, the process itself should be absorbing and voluptuous; we should gloat over a book, be rapt clean out of ourselves, and rise from the perusal, our mind filled with the busiest, kaleidoscopic dance of images, incapable of sleep or of continuous thought. The words, if the book be eloquent, should run thenceforward in our ears like the noise of breakers, and the story, if it be a story, repeat itself in a thousand coloured pictures to the eye.

Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894) Scottish essayist, novelist, poet
“A Gossip on Romance,” Longman’s Magazine (Nov 1882)