[LMB] OT: Saudi Arabia more democratic than Barrayar

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 14:06:34 BST 2011

PM> On Sep 25, 2011, at 11:15 AM, Pat Mathews wrote:
PM> How long has Barrayar been anything you could
PM> call a nation, rather than a collection of 60 petty
PM> principalities?

HB> Howard Brazee wrote:
HB> Interesting question.   I wonder if there are historical
HB> nations on Earth where such a question is debatable.

Add China to Italy, Germany, and India.  Unlike Italy and Germany, China (and India) has gone back and forth between a strong central government and many rival kingdoms.  But most of these kingdoms would call themselves culturally Chinese ... it's some of the central rulers that weren't, such as the Yuan and the Qing.

We could name dozens of countries that have grown and shrunk and conquered over time.  I'm limiting myself to principalities that considered themselves part of a single/related culture.  So China yes, Russia no.

- Harimad