[LMB] Barrayaran Native Animals was Re: Not quite a butterbug

Martin Bonham martin at bonham.net.nz
Mon Sep 26 22:34:31 BST 2011

In a post I read in Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 76, Issue 94
Harimad <harimad2001 at yahoo.com> wrote

> Lois has said she made an Authoritorial decision that there would be no
> non-human sentient life in the Vorkosiverse.  Where my memory is failing is if
> she made a similar pronouncement about biologically advanced life  in general.
> I think she decided Barrayar would have nothing higher than plants?

Obviously there is biologically advanced life on other planets.
We see much of it on Sergyar.

As regards Barrayar, I think that you may be misremembering.

IIRC there are large aquatic animals in the oceans.

That is, is the lack of sailing ships on Barrayar isn't just because one can't
catch and eat the equivalent of the fish, but also that there are said to be
large sea monsters, which presumably attacked early attempts at sailing ships.

Unless the sea-monsters are immagined.

Martin.

--
Martin Bonham, Auckland, (Aotearoa) New Zealand.
Home of Middle Earth, Whale Rider, and now also King Kong and Narnia.

-----