[LMB] I never thought I'd see THIS come out of CERN

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 11:58:32 BST 2011

A further point on the matter which is somewhat described in the other
part of this thread is that in some recent not-too-far-away
supernovas, neutrinos arrived very close in time to when light did.
(A bit before, but that's expected, since neutrinos escape such
cataclysms sooner than light can.  It helps to not interact with other
particles much.)  If the natural speed of neutrinos in vacuum is
really greater than that of light, those neutrinos should have been
months ahead of the light instead of hours.

Karen Hunt

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Nicholas D. Rosen <ndrosen at erols.com> wrote:
> With some caveats about possible measurement errors and
> so forth, physicists have announced that they seem to have
> observed neutrinos traveling faster than light.  This is very
> significant if true, and not just because the speed of light was
> taken to be an arbitrary speed limit.  If it be possible to transmit
> information faster than light, then a large part of modern physics
> comes crashing down, or at least will be in need of major
> reinterpretation.
>
> According to special relativity, if two events at stars 10 light-years
> apart happen simultaneously in one reference frame, event A can
> happen 6 years before event B, and 8 light-years away in space, as
> measured by an observer in another, equally valid reference frame.
> Time and space are relative, although the four-vector is invariant.
> Therefore, if information can be transmitted instantly between A and
> B, or even faster than light, paradoxes arise; it becomes possible to
> send messages back in time.

[snip]