[LMB] ANZAC Marching was Great Big Sea and Barrayar

Jacki Knight jacki at knightech.com.au
Tue Sep 27 23:37:38 BST 2011

On 28/07/2011, at 4:01 PM, A. Marina Fournier wrote:
> May I recommend Eric Bogle's "And the Band Played 'Waltzing
> Matilda'". Again with the Wikipedia:
> "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" is a song written by Scottish-
> born Australian singer-songwriter Eric Bogle in 1971.[1][2] The song
> describes war as futile and gruesome, while criticising those who
> seek to glorify it. This is exemplified in the song by the account
> of a young Australiansoldier who is maimed at the Battle of
> Gallipoli during the First World War.
> The song incorporates the melody and a few lines of lyrics of
> "Waltzing Matilda" at its conclusion. Many cover versions of the
> song have been performed and recorded.
> The song is often praised for its imagery of the devastation at
> Gallipoli. The protagonist, a rover before the war, loses his legs
> in the battle, and later notes the passing of other veterans with
> time, as younger generations become apathetic to the veterans and
> their cause.

Interestingly enough, the ANZAC day marches are not in fact getting
smaller.  It seems that, as the older generation passes, their young
relatives are marching in their places, wearing their medals in
remembrance. It's actually rather heartening to see.

Jacki in Canberra - where the Dawn Service and March is something
truly marvellous to behold (and flipping cold!)