[LMB] I never thought I'd see THIS come out of CERN

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed Sep 28 00:43:18 BST 2011

Don't be so sure of that... NASA saved tapes, sort of, of satellite
data--the storage conditions were non-optimal, tape -degrades-, the indexing
and tracking of where the tapes were stored went straying, AND, the
equipment the tapes were recorded on, was deacquistitioned/broke
down/stopped being used and disappeared/all the people who know how to run
it were either dead or gone from NASA or had long since forgotten.... the
launch ignition sequence information for Saturn V launchers evaporated after
the the last  Saturn V launch, even though there were still boosters (which
eventually got turned into pigeon roosts outdoors at places like the space &
rocket museum in Huntsville.

And that's how societies lose their technology, it doesn;t even need being a
cut-off colonly such as Barrayar...