[LMB] I never thought I'd see THIS come out of CERN

Greg Hennessy greg.hennessy at cox.net
Wed Sep 28 01:33:21 BST 2011

On 09/27/2011 09:27 AM, Paula Lieberman wrote:
> But were neutrinos looked for months ahead of the light from the
> supernovas? Or would they have been recognized as precursors?

The state of the art was literally a handful of neutrinos per week were
being detected, and at the time this was a concern since fewer neutrinos
were being detected than predicted by the standard model. The neutrinos
were being detected by bubbling a gas through the cleaning fluid
the detectors used. The day after the supernova there were I think
17 detections, which was well above any rate found in the past few months.
Detections were rare enough that they were individually numbered.