[LMB] OT: Repairmen, was Bothari as parent

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sun Apr 1 21:31:13 BST 2012

On Apr 1, 2012, at 11:56 AM, fred smith wrote:

> Around here (US, Right Coast) we have contractors who sppecialize in
> gutters and "downspouts". Surely someone in OZ does the same? Or is
> "plumber" the word you use for that function? Around here, we think of
> plumbers as the guys who do gas pipes, cold/hot water pipes, drains, etc.?

It's interesting that the word plumber is related to lead (Pb), from lead pipes - which aren't used anymore.   I wonder if it has expanded in one or more country to include water drains.   I hadn't come across that meaning.   Or maybe licensing put pipe fitters and drain fitters into a shared profession.