[LMB] Early Marriages (was Re:Argh and squeek scenes)

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 3 01:58:17 BST 2012

> From: Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
> On Apr 2, 2012, at 11:03 AM, Elizabeth McCoy wrote:
> > To pull to Beta and development, I also suspect that Betans are more
> > likely to have their first period around 13. I had mine then, and would
> > probably have been fine with most of the Betan stuff (especially if it's
> > societally prepped for). It does definitely assume neurotypicality,
> > though. ...Excuse me, I need to go hyperventilate; my kid is 12 and that
> > gives us only a year free of periods, like as not. *beth runs off to
> > panic*
>

> I expect they all have their first periods as scheduled by whatever criteria society says.   I don't see them letting nature run things.

Good point. I was thinking of kids starting at maybe eleven or so (I've
known girls with onset of menses at ten.) And that is just way too early
for me to accept a child as sexually active.

And there's also, now I'm thinking about it, some comment from Cordelia
when she was on Sergyar telling Aral about her 'friend', that this friend
started sexual activity embarrassingly late compared to others. So possibly
some start at 13 or 14, even 15, maybe some get the ear-rings and do
the courses, but don't start until they feel ready.

Gwynne