[LMB] Emotions

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Wed Apr 4 03:56:20 BST 2012

On 2 Apr 2012, at 05:10, Howard Brazee wrote:
> Before my wife almost died in a car accident

I'm glad it was only an "almost", and I hope she's doing well now.

> I still haven't ever read anything that scared me.   I'd hate to think what kind of real life incident would teach me to be scared.    It would be nice to experience a scary story the way they are supposed to be be experienced, but I'm not willing to pay that cost of learning to be scared.

I'm not sure whether I've read it or viewed it in film, but yes, I have taken in stories that scared the living daylights out of me because I *knew* what was coming from either my experience, or that of others close to me. I will not go to the Aliens style horror movies--way too uncomfortable to endure the suspense and the attendant horrors, things like that can leach into dreams, and I'd rather not, thank you. I can still remember a nightmare from the 80s. Wish I couldn't.

The price of learning to be scared of things in fiction, which can easily happen IRL, is way too high, and experiencing a scary story the way it should be experienced is IMNSHO, highly overrated.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

Galileo Galilei (1564-1642) Italian scientist and mathematician     Letter to the Grand Duchess Christina of Tuscany (1615)