[LMB] Titles

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Apr 10 18:51:06 BST 2012

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 05:36:11AM +0000, Mitch Miller wrote:

> One of the things about aristocracy that always bugs me is, just
> because your great-to-the-nth-grandpa was better at whacking people
> with a sword than the next fellow, what does that make you?

Well, traditionally it's not just your nth-grandpa, but your grandpa and
your pa as well, and you.  Working warrior caste aristocracy,
propagating merit (for fighting) by genetics or upbringing/training.
Ars Magica discussion led me to believe that things were more fluid for
much of the medieval period: good chance of promotion up if you got a
chance to show merit, and of getting killed off if you didn't show
merit.  Ossification into a hereditary idle class came later, and
perhaps didn't last all that long in the grand scale of things, before
being eclipsed by the bourgeoisie and other popular aspects of
modernity.

-xx- Damien X-)