[LMB] Tactical engineering

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed Apr 11 16:34:40 BST 2012

Spaceships aren't urban domains unless they're large enough to be
self-sustaining cities....  "Urban" means being a densely populated city
with all the services and amenities involved with/provided in cities.
ver
A station might be, if there is the dense, large population.

Also, spacecraft, space stations, and planetary cities involve some very
different characteristics.  A bullet puncturing the pressurization and
causing the atmosphere to depressurize, is not  problem on planetary
surfaces generally.   Getting stuck rotating around unable to move in and
direction except rotational motion, is not a problem on a planetary surface.
Needing fans running constantly to avoid overheating because of the lack of
a strong gravity field for heat diffusion is not a problem on a temperate
planet.

On the other hand, on a planet there is a lot more opportunity for someone
to hide/leave... on  ship, the person can't simply disappear.   Smuggling
things onto or off of a spacecraft or station is harder, only incoming or
outgoing vehicles can be a source of smuggled goods, and parts for making
illicit goods which require parts not on the craft....

"Stealth" on space vehicles is a lame concept which fails to recognize
electromagnetic spectrum sensing realities... I don;t want to go into the
details of just why at the present (Note, I actually have professional
credentials for space combat writing, people with the right access can look
it up...)