[LMB] OT: Slavery, was Barrayaran revenues

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed Apr 11 16:57:10 BST 2012

I never noticed any glossing over in public schools that I went to of
indentured servitude in colonial America.  What got glossed over to a degree
were the black non-indentured slaves in colonial New England, except for the
likes of Crispus Atticus, a free man who'd been a slave, who was the first
person who died in "the Boston Massacre" which was the first acknowledged
death in what turned into the US Revolutionary War.

The perceptions and treatment of indentured servants and slaves in colonial
America were NOT the same--indentured servants there were contracts
stipulating the length of service and the goods and equippage and such which
the contracted servants were to be provided with at the end of the
indenture.  I don;t know where you are getting your perceptions/attitudes
from, but someone who had a legal indenture contract, could sue and win
damages from if the person(s) they were indentured to broke the contract and
failed to carry out the terms of the contract as agreed to.  Actual slaves
who were not indentured servants in the colonies had no such rights and
protections and social standing.... also, once the indenture had been served
out, the person was a full member of the community, and payback for
ill-treatment can be -nasty-.   Social standing -mattered-...

The parts of history that are most obscure here are that some of the native
Americans were slave holding societies--and that some of the people who'd
grown up identifying themselves as black, discovered they weren't-- they
were native Americans who avoided the brutal, often lethal forced relocation
from the southern tier and western tiers of the USA to reservations in by
masquerading as black, it being less hazardous to be identified as
black/former slave, than as native American in the areas where the forced
relocation was occurring.

Also little known, is that there were a lot of people who objected to the
treatment of the native Americans.  Philips Academy in Andover had bound
periodicals from the time in which one of the main news topics was condeming
Andrew Jackson;s policies in the matter and the policies involved in
treatment of the Choctaw, the Chickasaw, the Cherokee, etc.  The fact that a
lot of New England blue bloods had native ancestors and relatives was some
but not all of it...  (and the most lethal native American killer in
Massachusetts, himself was half native and married to a native... according
to a friend who's one of his descendants, he was killing one bunch of his
native relatives on behalf of another bunch of his native relatives.... and
that that type of warfare of relatives, is the nastiest most lethal sort.
I'm unsure about that, but.....)

Meanwhile, here;s a slave trade link
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/slave_trade#A_recent_and_controversial_topic

Jackson;s WHole in the Nexus obviously has slavery or equivalent which is
legal.
Heinlein addressed slavery in Citizen of the Galaxy, having the protagonist
in the book be introduced as a slave, and then later him dedicating himself
in part to ending the slavery, which other parts of the galaxy refused to
acknowledge existed....