[LMB] Barrayaran revenues

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Thu Apr 12 16:05:54 BST 2012

On Apr 12, 2012, at 8:44 AM, Pat Mathews wrote:

> Komarr, by and large, doesn't like it particularly. For one thing, Barrayar is bleeding off a share of Komarr's wealth. How much of that wealth ever reached the Komarran in the corridors is an open question, but we know some of it did - or a chance for some of it - because gambling on shares is their equivalent of the lottery. Not to mention Komarr's revenues are down, since Barrayar bought popularity with the rest of the Nexus by cutting the tariffs Komarr was charging.

Perhaps, but the possibility of increased trade might more than offset the reduced rate in time, besides earned money benefits the lower classes more than resource extraction as we see in several countries and even in some regions of the US. The elites can grab the profits from coal or oil extraction and benefit from cheap labor for servants and so on.

And hey, the reduction in tolls benefits the surrounding political entities.
--
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. --> HL Mencken