[LMB] Haroche (was Duv's background)

Nick Pilon npilon at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 19:30:58 BST 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> What I thought was really telling about his confession was that he
> kept justifying it, he didn't even show remorse about Simon's
> suffering and damage, on a personal level. I wonder what he's
> justified to himself, before this. My judgement is that sooner or
> later he would have started to slide over the line, telling himself
> all the time that it was for the best of reasons.

I think that's a fair reading. But do remember that, at that point,
Haroche has already destroyed the trust between himself and Gregor. We
never see him prior to that choice, and certainly never get inside his
head. Without having made that choice, his relationship with Gregor
could have developed such that they did have the kind of trust and
mutual respect necessary for Haroche to be a good head of ImpSec. When
Haroche decided that Gregor could not be trusted to choose Simon's
successor properly and took steps to choose for him, he poisoned that
well.

It's also really interesting to contrast Haroche's behavior at the end
of Memory and Miles' at the start. Miles reaction to being caught by
Simon is, essentially, "Damn, you're right." This is followed, of
course, by him storming off and having a temper tantrum, because
Miles. Haroche's reaction to getting caught is, essentially, "You
don't understand, it was for your own good!" Like Cavilo before him,
it makes him all the more effective as a villainous mirror of Miles.

--
-Nick Pilon