[LMB] Komarr, an analogy

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Apr 19 21:09:35 BST 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 12:02:36AM +1000, Jacki Knight wrote:
> On 19/04/2012, at 2:31 PM, phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu wrote:
> >>Also Australia wasn't a democracy beforehand, and was ruled by a
> >
> >Just as it isn't now, with Senate seats being per province, not per
> >population.
>
> Pardon my confusion, but what does the makeup of our Upper House
> have to do with our democracy? The Senate is merely the house of
> review for legislation debated and passed by the House of

Analogy to the debate about hwo democratic Komarr is.  Duv said one
could hardly call it democratic, and 'oligarchs' gets used, but we know
everyone has at least one vote, and middle class Komarrans seem to treat
their planetary shares as meaningful.  So it's sort of democratic, but
violates one person one vote.  But then so do the US and Australian
Senates.  More egregious in the US, ours has more power and I don't now
if Australia has a 50 to 1 population ratio between any two states
(sorry, Canada uses province) but it's still something one could use to
call Australia not a full democracy.

It's not a perfect analogy of course; for yet another difference,
Komarr's been independent for longer than white people have known
Australia existed.  But most of the details were just for fun; the core
of the empathy exercise is to imagine oneself as invaded and occupied,
not to just view it as Other People who should accept their realpolitik
fate.

-xx- Damien X-)