[LMB] Komarr, an analogy, or, The Case of the Missing Wormholes, Part VII

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 20 00:55:20 BST 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 01:40:35AM +0200, Natali wrote:
> On Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:07 AM phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu wrote:
> *snip
> >You want to talk about how Komarrans will happily assimilate without
> >nationalist grievance and resentment, then it's time to imagine your own
> >country being occupied by another, culturally alien, and perceived to be
> >'backwards' one, and see how much you care about their wormhole
> >grievances.
> >
> Didn't something similar happen to Germany after WW2?

Germany felt actually guilty for what it had done; as I think Gwynne
noted, Komarr's feelings of guilt if any have not been hinted at.  So no
reason to expect a feeling of "well we deserve this."

Governance in West Germany was restored to the Germans in rather short
order, far less than Miles's lifetime.  In the East it wasn't, but that
government wasn't very legitimate to the Germans.

-xx- Damien X-)