[LMB] Borders of Infinity

Meg Justus mmegaera at nwlink.com
Sat Apr 21 18:55:35 BST 2012

Aruqvan:
> Ask Paula - the military has ways of expressing their personal displeasure
> even at officers. Kyril Island does exist ... it is called Thule. And Guam
> ... [Rob's Dad did a stint at Guam. ] Apparently Diego Garcia is also
> considered somewhat of a hole.

Obviously I'm not Paula, but I have a very good friend who has wonderful
memories of spending several years on Guam as a child in the early 50s --
the beach was minutes away, it was considered a very safe place so she rode
her bike everywhere without any sort of supervision, the weather was always
of the shorts and t-shirt variety (except for getting brushed by a typhoon
once), etc., etc., etc.

So Guam's desirablity or lack thereof definitely depends on your point of
view.  I suspect I'd have hated it even as a kid, but I have the kind of
claustrophobia that would make it very difficult to live in, say, Ketchikan,
Alaska (which is only accessible by water and air, so not leavable on a
whim), too.  When I visited there a few years ago, I asked a woman in a shop
how she liked living there, and she said, and I quote, "Oh, it's fine as
long as you can get off the rock once in a while." <shudder>.

Megaera