[LMB] Ebook Marketing Trickery (For A Good Cause)...

Elizabeth McCoy arcangel at prismnet.com
Fri Apr 27 00:01:52 BST 2012

> Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:40:32 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com>
> Subject: [LMB] more links was  e-Cetaganda is up!

> LMB:  [Insert muffled cry of anguish here.]   I've _done_ that.  [...]
> I've appended it to the back of every direct-placement e-book I've put up.

I wonder if it might be simpler to do "THE END! (For more exciting
adventures in the Nexus, pick up [next book in chronological order] at
your favorite ebook store, or check out the reading list at
dendarii.com)."

Or the ever-popular first-chapter/first-few-pages of Next Book? (On the
theory that once they start reading, they won't want to stop... This
applies to reading past "the end" and to when they get invested in the
_next_ story, both.)

Fewer choices, funneling the rats to the next bit of tasty, tasty cheese,
rather than handing them routes to all the cheese at once? (Which might
result in the Horse Between The Hay Bales dilemma!)

> LMB:  A bit early for that.  HarperCollins is trying that with
> _Beguilement_ even as we speak, however.  (And did it last month with
> _The Curse of Chalion_.)  The sales burst was discernible but short-lived.

Beguilement is on sale? One moment, must check the iBookstore...
*schlorp*

Thank you! (I can't justify the higher-priced ebooks when I have the
hardcovers already, but when they're on sale? I can justify! I can
justify!)

--Beth, plowing through back-digests; sorry!