[LMB] OT: Shoe Manufacturers now Gardening Gloves

BlueRose stacey at xtra.co.nz
Fri Apr 27 06:41:06 BST 2012

On 27/04/2012 4:32 p.m., Helen Chapman wrote:
> Wow, has this ever struck a chord.  I've been getting the wide fit from
> Lands End sent to me here in NZ as Kumfs, now rebranded to Ziera, are in a
> much too pricey bracket for me although the second hand goodwill stores
> have yielded some pairs.   I was impressed with the Hotter fitting guide
> when I downloaded it this morning and some of the shoes there have made me
> drool.
>
> Now how about the other end of our extremities - the hands.  It isn't just
> my short, broad, high instep feet that are a problem, or the arthritic toe
> joint on the right foot, it is the spare inches in the finger lengths of
> most gardening gloves, even in the "Small" size .  Not fine weed control
> teritory at all!...............
>
> Suggestions?

I have quite big hands for a woman, wide across the palms and longish
fingers and I find most womens gloves for dress styles are far too
small.  A lot of our stuff comes from Asia which is part of the problem.

Gardening gloves I tend to find are one size fits all if you are a large
handed man.  The bit that frustrates me is the poor cut ending up with
huge bunches of fabric between the fingers.

For fine weed control the Showa gloves are quite popular and affordable,
they are stretch knit thats been dipped in a plastic liner.  I am not a
fan as roses have a nasty habit of getting you in the back of the hand
through the fabric, but for normal non rose gardening they are very
popular here in NZ (where they are made) and you can get in fairly good
practical sizes.

http://www.showagloves.com/gloves/index.php?categoryid=1&gloveid=48

Stacey